Mold – Is the cure more confusing than the cause?

Mold has existed since time began and will continue to live beyond mankind’s extermination.

There – with that said – don’t freak out if you see a little green or black growth around your home.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) says “If the moldy area is less than about 10 square feet (less than roughly a 3 ft. by 3 ft. patch), in most cases, you can handle the job yourself”. Or if you don’t want to or there’s more than 10 square feet of mold growth, you can consult with a professional mold remediation company in your area certified through the Indoor Air Quality Association.

I have consulted knowledgeable authorities and the response is confusing…it’s even confusing to the EPA since they don’t recommend using anything to clean mold but detergent and water – in their EPA clean-up guidelines. Some others advise using bleach, but bleach (so I’ve been told) spreads the mold spores around more…some advise the most effective way to cleaning up any small elements of mold with hydrogen peroxide (not bleach)…and others recommend a vinegar/water mixture…confusing isn’t it? But most experts advise eliminating the source of moisture as an effective remedy for mold control.

After researching several websites, I realized that there were no good instructions or methods to effectively clean small amounts of mold in your home (unless you want to use the teh EPA’s advice and sue the Federal Government if it doesn’t work – good luck with that), because nobody wants to get sued for advising you what to do.

References to products and services are not a specific endorsement, but the user must perform their due diligence and investigate whether the product or service is right for them. I welcome any or all comments that would help others.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.